Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Eye Surgery

Vivienne was born with goopy, crusty eyes, and the doctor told us that it was most likely clogged tear ducts.  I had the same issue when I was a baby.  There is always a chance that they will become unclogged on their own within the first year, but Vivienne's didn't.  Mine didn't either.  So we had to take her in for day surgery at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital.  I had been dreading this day for months.  She couldn't eat or drink until after the surgery, and I imagined a famished, crazy child.  She actually wasn't.  She loved all the toys, people and business of the hospital.  She didn't even cry when she was passed off to the nurse for the actual procedure.  I was so proud of her!  The only crying was when she was trying to wake up, and I know that being drugged is not a good feeling...don't read into that! haha! Anyway, we are home now, and she has to have eye drops for three days.  I hope this cleared up her eyes for good. 

I'm styling in the hospital attire.  Everyone kept calling me a boy...

The waiting room had tons of toys.  Cars, and a play kitchen with fake food.  Isn't it a bit mean to have these starving children play with fake food?  Vivienne didn't seem to mind...

I had a hard time getting a picture of this wild child.  She doesn't stop moving.  Those hands belong to Elayne Falk who came with us to the hospital.  I couldn't have made it through the day without her help.



6 comments:

Amy Pepper said...

Glad to hear everything went pretty well.....and YAY that you you have begun posting again. I take a peek every now and again so see if you have had the time to update. I just love watching your little Vivi grow!

Carmen said...

That's really sweat, Amy! Thanks! I need to remember to check your blog. I will do that!

Carmen said...

SWEET! Sometimes I'm dumb...sometimes I'm smart...

Jee said...

I'm glad to hear that everything went well. How scary that must have been but it sounds like Vivi was a real trooper! She's grown so much and I agree with Amy...it's great to see updates on your blog again.

She's so cute and it kills me that people still think she's a boy!

Heather said...

Glad to hear she (& you) made it through with no trouble or side effects! :) I'm sure you're breathing easier today.

Gorham Family said...

Way to go, Vivi! Levi's duct is still clogged, so we may be looking at the same surgery in a couple of months. Oh, and yesterday someone mistook him for a girl. That was a first.